Friday, November 8, 2013

II Chronicles Part I: Just a Few Questions

The Wheels on the Bus Still Go Round and Round
So where are we in the plod through the Bible asking questions about each of the books presented? We are at the book of the Old Testament called II Chronicles. Much like its elder brother I Chronicles, II Chronicles is basically a much unneeded recap of the hoopla of the people and kings of Israel as they stumble through their dusty existence of being used and abused by God Almighty as He goes about sprinkling fairy dust and destroying His people time and again.

And...away we go...

1. II Chronicles 1:1
And Solomon the son of David was strengthened in his kingdom, and the LORD his God was with him, and magnified him exceedingly.

Questions
     1) How can it be said that the LORD/God magnified anyone other than Himself when everything He does and anything He does for anyone is to glorify Himself?

2. II Chronicles 1:12
12 I will certainly give you the wisdom and knowledge you requested. But I will also give you wealth, riches, and fame such as no other king has had before you or will ever have in the future!"

Questions
     1) Is this of ALL the kings of the earth EVER or only at this time in history? I ask because there have been some amazingly wealthy kings in history, right?

3. II Chronicles 2:5
The house that I am to build will be great, for our God is greater than all gods.

Questions
     1) Sooo...there ARE other gods?

4. II Chronicles 2:6
But who is able to build him a house, since heaven, even highest heaven, cannot contain him? Who am I to build a house for him, except as a place to make offerings before him?

Questions
     1) Well, this verse says it all, doesn't it? How can a frigging house be built for a God Who is everywhere?

5. II Chronicles 6:26
26 “When heaven is shut up and there is no rain because they have sinned against you, if they pray toward this place and acknowledge your name and turn from their sin, when you afflict them,

Questions
     1) Is this normal discipline? Should it be considered normal discipline and why?

6. II Chronicles 7:1-3
As soon as Solomon finished his prayer, fire came down from heaven and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices, and the glory of the LORD filled the temple.

And the priests could not enter the house of the LORD, because the glory of the LORD filled the LORD’s house.

When all the people of Israel saw the fire come down and the glory of the LORD on the temple, they bowed down with their faces to the ground on the pavement and worshiped and gave thanks to the LORD, saying, “For he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever.”

Questions
     1) And this sounds normal? This sounds believable over all the other beliefs? This sounds more credible?

7. II Chronicles 7:4
Then the king and all the people offered sacrifice before the LORD.

Questions
     1) What is good about sacrifice? What is good about killing something or someone in order to please another?

8. II Chronicles 7:14
14 if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Questions
     1) Hear from heaven? Isn't God/the LORD supposed to be everywhere?

9. II Chronicles 7:19-20
19 “But if you turn aside and forsake my statutes and my commandments that I have set before you, and go and serve other gods and worship them,

20 then I will pluck you up from my land that I have given you, and this house that I have consecrated for my name, I will cast out of my sight, and I will make it a proverb and a byword among all peoples.

Questions
     1) Why say that it will be your house forever when you know that will not be the case? Why even say the people will be your's forever when all you constantly do is try to destroy them?

10. II Chronicles 20:15
15 And he said, “Listen, all Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem and King Jehoshaphat: Thus says the LORD to you, ‘Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed at this great horde, for the battle is not yours but God’s.

Questions
     1) That's right. The battle is God's/the LORD's because He is the mother fucker that keeps people fighting, keeps them starving, keeps them full of fear, right?



No comments: